Indatus Corporation, a local telecommunications company with a national client base, sought to relocate their corporate headquarters to downtown Louisville at 118-122 East Main Street. SHA authored the research documents to get the property listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its importance as part of the Art Moderne/early Art Deco design movement. SHA then designed the restoration and renovation to meet Federal and State Historic Tax Credits requirements.
The property consists of several building elements, with structures dating from the 1890’s through the 1940’s. The 1890’s structure was originally constructed as a four-story bourbon warehouse. In the 1940’s, that older building had its front façade removed and replaced with a six-story limestone façade and adjacent two-story structure applied to it. The new six-story facade anticipated a reconstruction of the four-story building that never materialized, leaving existing floor levels in the middle of the then-new windows. The restoration design corrected this by moving portions of the second and fourth floor plates vertically to create new split levels. Other architectural features were carefully restored, and new materials were used to highlight and support the technology infrastructure of Indatus’ high-tech operations.